Saturday, November 22, 2008

media, art, appearence

I argue with myself a lot and both sides always have really good points. This house is divided, but it makes for a pretty cool checking of judgment. K, so I've been talking with Cory and Lou about some of our ad's, etc. and it has put me in a mood where I constantly second guess my first decision on a matter, which could be cool. K, anyway.. so the subject is thus. I feel like we don't need ten trillion promo shots of us splattered all over the net and whatever media our underground culture has because:

A. Our image has nothing to do with this band or who we are as individuals
B. If you see a goofy ass band, even if the promo shot looks awesome, it can turn you off from the band. People will sometimes make an instant decision on something because of it's appearance.

So, my idea is keep most of our ad's ambiguous to a degree where we are branded by the material and not the image. The reason I say this is because a lot of the bands are hyped on the mold of their genre, in an age of endless media we have a set idea of what everything should look like. Kids will consciously and unconsciously reject you if you don't fit into what they consider to be what you should be.

Here's the problem, I don't give a shit what people think about me. I love my band and I think we're okay and I am confident in the material. Now as a intelligent guy I know what a safe investment is and I know you shouldn't throw money into any pit of fire. So we have a problem, we will spend the money on the ad's and they will go to print. So play it smart or play it "I don't give a fuck"?

I don't give a fuck doesn't always work out. also there is a certain amount of my ideals on the ambiguous ad's side, because then the music and material will be judged for what it is, and not what we look like. fuck me.

No comments: