Wednesday, November 12, 2008

hope

For once in my life, I felt proud of my country. We all know what day I'm talking about.. it was November 4th, 2008. I can remember when I still believed in the shit I ranted about. It was a long time ago, before all these pack mules for discipline ate away my heart. I can't really remember when it was lost, maybe it was the time I spent with the underbelly of an inbred faction of the mall punks and the dopey counter culture. All the seedy afternoons spent downing drugs and searching the stars for meaning and truth. After years of pursuit it leaves a heavy hangover. I came out of the haze grasping for a breath of reality. it was a literal mind fuck, and we were promiscuous with our minds because it was killing two birds with one stone: we were disconnecting from society and it was an intellectual excuse to sit on our asses and waste away. After what I'd like to call my sobering period, I looked around and saw a futile youth clawing at the heel of real competence. We had given up our minds to a social machine of intoxication and that's how we were losing. Forget the long arm of the man coming late at night in our bedrooms to give out free reach arounds to any dirty, indifferent bag of shit, we were fucking ourselves with a smile on our face. I am the machine, my friends are the machine, we are the grinding gears of social irrevelance. So I started trying to make things happen with music. It was one of the few things left untainted in my life. I pushed the chords out, birthed some lyrics, and slipped into a new attitude to take on my duty as a human being. I wanted to be in step with social consciousness. Out of the years spent doing so, I learned the footwork for change. it wa s aslow persistance to move forward, over obstacles, over set backs, through opposition and the heirachy of natural selection. I made my postion work for me.


well, I never really thought about any of it coming to a head, atleast to a point where I could sit down and look at the tv screen and be like, wow, there's change. I just witnessed it. I felt it in my heart. We just moved. As a nation, we took one step forward.

it was prolly one of the most beautiful things I've every taken part in, and it changed me from a dead cell of hope, to an ember of fucking militant rage. I will not stand for the things i know are wrong anymore. this is me at full speed and I'm going to fucking break the safety on my mind just so I can work at full speed. I love myself and I love my fellow man. Together we'll make everything we hope for happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this seriously left me in shambles reading this, in the most positive way. in a part of the country where the talk of an "ethnic" leader is unheard of, this was a breath of fresh air.

and also, your writing is impeccable.
i had no idea that there was as educated of a mind in a punk band as i see now. so, thank you for defying the stereotype! this one just stood out to me, in particular. (;

your friend through music, and constantly struggling to make it my life work,

-joseph (from virulence)

myspace,com/virulence